Well I’ve said it before, cooking is really just confidence. My Dad taught me that! Interestingly enough, every time I want to try something new and don’t really think about what it will turn out be, I make something awesome! I just have the confidence. Tonight was the perfect example.
Every time I need a new idea I call my best friend Samantha. Basically, I tell Samantha the ingredients I have on hand and she has some great idea of what I can make. Most of the time my end result is pretty spot on to what she originally suggests, but sometimes I start altering things and come up with newness.
Something else I’ve noticed about my cooking traits. I am much better at understanding if told in the correct order how to make a dish, then if someone gives me a book with step by step directions. I think I gain confidence when knowing what’s next instead of waiting to read what happens. I’ve always been this way and having a bestie like Samantha makes this trait work well.
But I digress…
Tonight my basic ingredients consisted of boneless skinless chicken tenders, long grain brown rice, peppers and tomatoes. After calling Samantha I added, onions, chicken stock, black beans, and yummy spices. What was supposed to be some sort of Mexican Style tastiness turned into a mildly spicy wild rice chicken ‘stew’!
Here is the way it happened.
- 2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 3 green onions
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cups rice (long grain brown rice)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. red pepper
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Season your chicken tenders with spices. With Olive oil in a medium heated pan cook the chicken half way through.
- In a separate pot, over olive oil, Add chopped peppers and onions to the pot.
- While cooking your vegetables, cut your chicken into smaller portions (your size preference)
- Add your chicken to the pot with your vegetables
- Add 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of chicken stock
- Bring everything to a boil
- Cover and lower your heat to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, add 1 can of black beans and chopped Roma tomatoes
- Cover and simmer 10 more minutes
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts, Oats